Thank you for your interest in substituting in Jefferson County Schools. Substitutes are vital members of our professional team and offer an important contribution to the educational program in the classroom.
Substitutes in Jefferson County who hold an active Tennessee Teaching License are paid $80 for a full day or $40 for a half day. All other substitutes are paid $65 for a full day or $32.50 for a half day with the following exceptions:
- non-licensed substitute for full-time prek assistant full day (6.5 hours) - $56.00
- licensed substitute for full-time prek assistant full day (6.5 hours) - $69.00
- non-licensed substitute for special education assistant (7 hours) - $60.00
- licensed substitute for special education assistant (7 hours) - $74.00
- non-licensed substitute for part-time prek assistant (4 hours) - $34.00
- licensed substitute for part-time prek assistant (4 hours) = $42.00
The requirements for Substitute Teachers are:
- Minimum of High School Diploma/GED Certificate
- Completion of Fingerprinting for a Criminal Background Check and Clearance
- Passing Score on Screening Interviewing
- Attendance at Jefferson County Schools Substitute Teacher Training
When hired, you must complete and pass a Physical Exam and Tuberculois Screening prior to entering the classroom.
Instructions for applying:
We currently do not have an on-line application process for Substitute Teachers. Application packets are available for pick up at our central office or you may download the documents from the following list. Please submit the Substitute Teacher Application to our Human Resources Department prior to completing fingerprinting so that we will have your contact information when we receive the results of the background check.
Substitute Teacher Application
Physical Exam Form
- Please fill out the application completely and accurately.
- Provide proof of education (Diploma or Transcripts).
- Include a copy of your Tennessee Teaching License, if applicable.
- Provide three completed Reference Questionnaires. These must be completed by someone who is not related to you.
- Follow the instructions on the Fingerprinting Information document to complete fingerprinting.
Once your application is received, you will be contacted to schedule a screening interview.
If approved for employment, you will be notified of the next scheduled Substitute Teacher Training. You are required to attend training before substituting in any classroom.
If you have questions, please email Connie Lemons or call 865-397-7319.